CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Weekend Recap

Smiles and I waited patiently in line for the car wash today behind a WWII vet. He took his time carefully cleaning his Buick. It looked like he was getting ready for a Memorial Day event all decked out in his Army cap.

Tom Brokaw coined the term, "The Greatest Generation" in his book to describe those who lived through the Great Depression, World War II and then went on to rebuild our country. Some commentators believe that Generation Y aka the Millennials share some of those same characteristics.... Described as civic-minded, high achievers and team oriented. According to the "experts", Smiles and I are on the front-end of this generation..... we sure have a lot to live up to.

So.... Enough of the history lesson. Memorial Day is a great reminder to me that I owe my freedom, life and everything else to many generations of Great Americans.

It also serves as a reminder to us all that greatness is within all of our reach. And greatness is defined in so many ways.

On a personal note, this was a life changing weekend for my family. My wonderful and loving niece became very very ill and was transported to the local Children's Hospital. She was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Her life and our family's lives will be forever changed. Please keep her and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment